Adoptions by Relatives: Issues and Answers

When a biological parent is unable to care for a child, a relative may often step forward to serve as that child’s guardian or adoptive parent. At FAMILYBUILDING, A Professional Law Corporation, we have seen such situations arise due to:

  • A biological mother is involved in drug use

  • A biological father is in jail

  • A family member experiences an unplanned pregnancy

  • An accident resulting in the death of the parent(s) leaves the children orphaned

At FAMILYBUILDING, A Professional Law Corporation, we have been providing caring, considerate and skilled guidance to parents involved in relative adoptions since 1987. We understand the issues and the joys of relative adoption or foster parenting and adoption not only from a professional standpoint, but from a personal one, as well. Our principal attorney, Ted R. Youmans, and his wife Sheryl, office manager, have raised and adopted relatives due to tragic loss of birth parents.

A relative adoption can happen in a number of ways:

  • The birth parent can request that a relative be appointed guardians through a guardianship, or as a result of a foster care arrangement. They can also give their consent for a relative adoption.

  • If necessary, we may need to proceed with a termination of parental rights of the biological parent.